From our handout today from Native Appropriations run by Adrienne K., a PhD student in Boston, MA, I wanted to share her full blog that may be of interest for your Visual Portfolios, Group Projects, and/or Final Comps projects.
Related to our discussion on Halloween costuming, engaging the “Racial Other“, the history of Blackface in America, and our viewing of Ethnic Notions (1986), I would like you to keep thinking about these questions:
- What images comprise racist iconography historically and today?
- Who controls the production and distribution of such images?
- What purposes or interests do these images serve?
- What are some modern updates on these examples and/or what are some forms of modern-day minstrelsy?
- How do these images serve as part of the ideological apparatus that maintains racial and ethnic domination?